Industry welcomes ‘long overdue decision’ to let digital news outlets cover official events, but some are still sceptical of terms for eligibility
Sept 19, 2017 (South China Morning Post) — Digital media outlets in Hong Kong would be allowed to cover official events and receive press releases or invitations under relaxed rules, the government said yesterday.
Chief Executive Carrie Lam Yuet-ngor said the arrangement would be “fair and feasible”, but some industry members criticised the guidelines as being unclear and raised concerns over whether they would be rejected because of political reasons.
The ombudsman last year urged the government to review its policy on online media.
Online media listed under the Registration of Local Newspapers Ordinance may now apply to the Information Services Department to receive press releases and media invitations.
But Wong Yeung-tat, founder of Passion Times. an online news outlet which previously faced rejections to cover government events, said authorities failed to specify ineligible conditions.